Museums

Chios Mastic Museum

The Chios Mastic Museum is located in Southern Chios, in the region of the Mastichochoria. Surrounded by Chios Mastiha trees, in complete harmony with the environment, the Chios Mastic Museum is open and ready to welcome visitors of Chios.

 It is dedicated to Chios Mastiha (or gum mastic), the unique product that has shaped the natural and human environment of the Mastichochoria area of southern Chios, as well as the productive and economic history of the island. The importance of the mastiha cultivation was recently recognized by UNESCO, with its inscription to the list of intangible heritage.

The permanent exhibition is centred on the gum mastic of Chios as a unique product. It aims to chart the technique of the gum mastic tree's traditional cultivation, and to present the product's history, the evolution of the pre-industrial and industrial technology for the production, exploitation and marketing of gum mastic, as well as to showcase its different uses.

A variety of media are used in the exhibition, such as multimedia applications, films and machines from the first gum mastic factory. The last section of the exhibition is outdoors, where the visitor can see the gum mastic trees and understand the cultivation process.


View of the permanent exhibition, "Production" section. Landscape and history of production. © PIOP, Ν. Danielides

Address
Locality of Rachi (Tepeki), in the Pyrgio region of the Municipality of Chios.
Telephone: (+30) 22710 72212

Opening hours:
From March 1st through to October 15th:
Daily (except Tuesdays) 10 am - 6 pm.
From October 16th through to February 28th:
Daily (except Tuesdays) 10 am - 5 pm.

Closed on: Tuesdays, January 1st, Good Friday (until 12 noon), (Greek Orthodox) Easter Sunday, May 1st, July 22nd (local patronal feast), August 15th, December 25th and 26th.

Admission
Standard entrance fee: € 3,00
Concessionary ticket: € 1.50.
Days of free admission:
May 18th (International Museum Day)
June 5th (World Environment Day)
Last weekend in September (European Heritage Days)

Link: http://www.piop.gr/el/diktuo-mouseiwn/Mouseio-Mastixas/to-mouseio.aspx

 

Chios Archaeological Museum

Opening hours: Tuesday – Sunday 9.00 – 16.00. Mondays closed.
Address: Michalon st. 8, Chios, 82100
Telephone: 0030 22740 22004, 0030 694 5331354
Admissions: 2€. Concessions: 1€ for students, free access for seniors (over 65).
Accessible to people with disabilities

The Archaeological Museum of Chios was built in the 60s and the first exhibition opened in 1977. In 1987 the Museum was closed for reconstruction works. It reopened in 2000. Its permanent exhibition lies in five rooms. Architectural parts from buildings and signs, as well as a unique macedonian style tomb that was found in the town neighbourhood of Fragomahalas, are exhibited at the museum's inner yard.

The museum's exhibition includes findings from excavations that have been conducted by the British Archaeological School in Agio Galas, Emporio, Dotia and Fana. It also includes findings from the excavations conducted by Nikos Kontoleon at Rizari (another town neighbourhood) and also the excavations by the Archaeological Service (Κ ΕΚΠΑ) in the town of Chios. Citizens as well as the Archaeological Service's temporary curator during the 60s and 70s Antonios Stefanou have submitted pieces and objects they have found and collected. Last but not least, there is a room for periodic exhibitions, where findings from the Mycenaeic cemetery at Archodariki of Psara are exhibited.

More

 

 

Chios Byzantine Museum (Mecidiye Cami)

Opening hours:Tuesday – Sunday 8.00 – 15.00. Mondays closed.
Address: Vounaki Square (Chios Town central Square), Chios, 82100
Telephone: 0030 22710 26866
Admissions: 2€. Concessions: Free access for teachers, professors, pupils, students and people with disabilities

The Byzantine Museum's permanent exhibition is held in the Ottoman mosque, Mecidiye Cami, which was built in the mid 19th century and was renovated in the context by European funds via the Third Framework of support. Under the funding of the North Aegean Region Operational Programme. The exhibition is part of the effort to promote the monument, making it a part of it. The monument and the exhibition thus complete each other. The exhibition aims to inform the visitors about the history and culture of Chios from the early christian period to the modern era. It also attempts to show how different cultural groups lived in harmony during various periods of the island's history.

The exhibition was curated by the Archaeological Service – Department of Byzantine Antiquities (Third Division of Byzantine Antiquities)

More

 

Chios Maritime Museum

Opening hours: Monday – Saturday 09:00 – 13:00.
The museum is closed on Sundays. For groups it is possible after the necessary arrangements to open in the afternoon too.
Address: Stefanou Tsouri st. 20, 82100 Chios
Telephone: 0030 22710 44139
Admissions: free

The Chios Maritime Museum is the realisation of its founders – all members of important shipping families that have created the Chiot nautical miracle - old dream: to create an important house – museum for the Modern Greek maritime industry. The Chios Maritime Museum is housed in a traditional mansion of the town centre, property of the late Anastasios and Marouko Patera. Their heirs donated the house to the Foundation of Anastasios and Marouko Patera.

The Chios Maritime Museum is the only cultural organisation in Chios dedicated to the island's maritime history. The people of Chios have a long contribution to maritime and commerce. The Museum’s basic aim is to present in the best way, this very important part of this island's life. It does so through the collection of objects and data connected to Chios maritime tradition, as well as to the evolution of maritime and commercial shipping in general. The museum also organises events and activities such as speeches and conferences with subjects related to Chios, maritime. It also pursues cooperation with other maritime museums of the Greek Archipelago. One of the core collections of the Museum was the small but highly important collection of the Progressive Cultural Association of Vrontados (PEKEV), which was enriched with donations and other exhibits, such as model ships and ships' parts.

The PEKEV collection includes portraits of sailboats and steam ships owned by Chios ship owners. The paintings are works of the Chiot painter Aristides Glykas (Vrontados, 1870 – 1940) who specialised in painting ships. The permanent collection also includes model ships and rare photographs of maritime life. There is a special section dedicated to the period after the Second World War, when the Liberty ships and other models that had been constructed during the war, became the basis for the rapid post-war development of the Greek shipping industry.

More

 

Oinousses Maritime Museum

Opening hours: 08:00-14:00
Address: Oinousses, 82101
Telephone: 0030 22710 55182
Admissions: 1,50€. Concessions: Free entrance for children less than 15 years

The Oinousses Maritime Museum is located on the waterfront, at the Oinousses port.

It was founded in 1965 and its collection includes model ships, paintings, nautical instruments, documents and books related to the maritime tradition of Oinousses. All the objects have been donated by families of the island. The building of the museum, “Pantelis Ant. Laimos” Mansion has also been donated by the Laimos family.

The late mayor of Oinousses, Antonis Sp. Laimos had envisioned the renovation and expansion of the museum. His brother, Nikolaos Laimos, realised this vision, by creating a modern museum with admirable collections.

The museum has had thousands of visitors during the years, which had the chance to learn about the great maritime tradition of the Oinousses Island. The museum can also host events in the “Marina Laimos” room.

Collections and Exhibits

  1. Collection of model ships of the napoleon years, created by French prisoners in English prisons, after the wars of 1793-1815.
  2. Collections of guns and weapons 18th and 19th century.
  3. Collection of paintings of sail boats and steamships from Oinousses by Aristides Glykas.
  4. Collection of model ships from the beginning of the 20th century until today.

 

 

The Argenti Folklore Museum and Gallery (at Koraes Central Public and Historical Library)

Opening hours: Daily 08:00 – 15:00, Friday afternoon: 17:00 – 20:00, Saturday morning 09:00 – 14:00
Address: 2, Koraes St., 82100, Chios
Telephone: 0030 22710-44246
Admissions: 2€, 1€ for seniors, free entrance for pupils, students, teachers and people with disabilities.

The Argenti Folklore Museum and the Argenti Gallery at Koraes Central Public and Historical Library are basically the personal collections of Philip Pandely Argenti.

In 1932, Philip Argenti founded the “Argenti Association” in order to save and preserve folklore and historical material of Chios, through collections of historical artefacts, folklore costumes etc.

The “Ethnologic Museum” opened its doors in 1937, in a room of the Chios High School. Philip Argenti has enriched the collections since, via donations and new acquisitions. Thus, the founder of the Folklore Museum decided to expand the Library's building, adding a second storey, in order to house the Folklore collection, as well as the collection of Chios paintings he had donated.

In 1962 the new rooms were opened. After Philip Argenti's passing in 1974, his son, Pandely Philip Argenti donated more books and paintings to the museum. All the paintings that decorate the entrance of the Library, the stairs and the hallway depict events of Chios history, and were part of Philip P. Argenti's personal collection.

In the ground floor there are busts of the great benefactors of the library, Adamantios Koraes and Philip Argenti, coats of arms of Chiot families, Koraes's manuscripts and personal artefacts, medals, books and paintings. The folklore collection and the gallery are on the first floor.

 

Chios Municipality Art Gallery

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 08:00 – 15:00 and 18:30 – 21:00, Weekend 09:30 – 13:00
Address: 1, Andreas Syggros St., 82100, Chios
Telephone: 0030 22710 43565
Admissions: free

Art lovers will be thrilled by a visit to the Art Gallery administered by the Municipality of Chios, at the centre of the town.

The construction of the building that houses the Gallery began in 1939 and was completed in 1954. It was designed by the architect Ioannis Despotopoulos. Until the mid-70s the Public Baths operated there. The building was turned into the Municipal Gallery in 1984, under the administration of Mayor Yiannis Boubaris.

The permanent collections include works by Diomataris and Mytarakis and also wroks of contemporary Chiot artists. Apart from art exhibitions the Gallery cooperates with other cultural institutions in order to host various art events.

Visit the Gallery's website

 

Nea Moni Museum

Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday 08:00 – 13:00.
Address: Karyes, 82100, Chios
Telephone: 0030 22710 79370
Admissions: 2€

The Nea Moni monastery is in central Chios on the road to Karyes village. It was founded in early 11th century. At the centre of the monastery lies the catholicon (main church), a monument of exquisite architecture and art. Nea Moni is a Monument of World Cultural Heritage, according to UNESCO.

Trapeza

At the south part of the monastery and south west of the catholikon (main church) lies the Trapeza, which was the dining room of the monastery. The building was renovated and organised as a Museum for the monastery during the second european framework of support. The basic exhibit is the main room of the Trapeza. In the same room byzantine sculptures of the 11th century, that come from the catholikon (main church) are exhibited., as well as ceramics and part of the wall painitngs. The exhbition also includes visula material, texts, designs and photographs.

Museum

The monastery has survived a lot of attacks and pillages during its 9-century- history. Thus, its original wealth has perished. All the artefacts that are exhibited in the monastery's small museum are of the modern era and have been donated to the monastery. The museum was renovated in 1980 and the visitor can see objects of ecclesiastical and secular silver art of the 18th and 29th century, as well as icons of the same period. The museum is curated by the 3rd Division of Byzantine Antiquities of the Greek Archaeological Service.

 

Kallimasia Folklore Museum

Opening hours: Monday to Saturday 09:30 – 13:30 and 18:00 – 20:00
Address: Kallimasia, 82100, Chios
Telephone: 0030 22710 52055, 0030 698 4704221, 0030 693 9266733, 0030 22710 51238
Admissions: 2€, 1€ for groups. Free entrance for students, pupils, teachers, people with disabilities and people doing their military service.

The collection of folklore material and artefacts started in 1995, by the Association “Friends of the Kallimasia Folklore Museum” and it’s President, Yiannis Kolliaros. The idea was to use the 550 sq.m. underground room of the Kallimasia High School in order to house the Museum. The visitor can now see areas that have been transformed in places of traditional professions and activities, such as a traditional village house, a traditional groceries store, an olive oil press and an ouzo distillery. There is also an area dedicated to Karagkiozis, the traditional greek shadow theatre. All artefacts have been donated by people of the villages and Chios town.

More

 

Kourounia Museum of Religious Art

The Museum of Ecclesiastical/ Religious art in Kourounia is the only one of its kind in Chios. It is housed in the old primary school of Kourounia village that was built in 1913. Its collections are divided in four main sections: The first section includes works made by Georgios Panayiotakis, the great iconographer who lived in Chios at the start of the last century, as well as works of the iconographer Georgios Kefalas who came from the village. The second section includes visual material of the religious customs of the village. The last two sections are still under development and include ecclesiastical artefacts and books.

Source: www.kourounianet.gr

 

Municipality of Kampochora Folklore Museum

Telephone: 0030 22710 77012

The former Municipality of Kampochora (now part of the Chios Municipality) founded this Folklore Museum, which is situated in Chalkeios village, in the area of Kampochora. The museum is housed in an old olive oil press building, which was preserved and renovated from 2001 to 2005.

 

Natural History and Pharmaceutical Museum

The museum opens on appointment. Contact numbers: +30 22710 52148, +30 22710 52250.
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The idea of the Pharmaceutical started in 2002 and a lot of professionals, such as pharmacists, doctors, historians supported it. Part of the collection is today exhibited in a rood that has been bestowed for this purpose by the Kallimasia Cultural Association “Proodos”.

The museum's purpose is to preserve the island's pharmaceutical history, as well as material from all over Greece and abroad. The museum collects artefacts related to pharmaceutical history, such as books, advertisements, photographs etc. It has also acquired Anastasios Damvergis's archive, who was member of an old family of pharmacists. The museum also organises educational programmes for students.

 

Chios Medical Museum

Address: Aegaiou ave. & Kouvela st., 2, 82100, Chios
Telephone: 0030 22710 23815

The Chios Medical Museum is a thematical museum dedicated to the history of medical practice in Chios, thorugh a multi-level approach. Its collection also includes data and visual material of the history of organised health institutions of the island.

For more information, visit the Medical Museum's website: http://www.iatrikomouseio.com

 

Citrus Memories

Opening hours: During the opening hours of the estate
Address: Argenti St. 9 - 11, Kampos, Chios, 82100
Telephone: 0030 22710 31513
Admissions: free.

Citrus Memories is a space where memories, documents and historical data of the history of Kampos Citrus fruits and agriculture are found. Through a modern, dynamic exhibition, housed in the ground floor of a Kampos estate house, the visitor will be informed on:

  • the citrus fruits agricultural tradition of the area, the tools and production methods, the different and especially the unique varieties that have been cultivated in the area of Kampos.
  • the society and its organisation around this core of agricultural cultivations since the Genovese occupation until today.
  • the citrus fruits trade from the 15th century to Constantinople and Izmir, until the end of the 20th century.
  • Kampos, its unique architecture, the mansions and the estates, and the way life was organised here.

Visitors can also watch a short documentary where people of the area talk about their experience of the rise and fall of the citrus fruit trade.

More

 

Archive

Click here, to visit the website of the former Prefecture of Chios.

Chios.gr is the official tourism web site for Chios, run by the North Aegean Prefecture, where you'll find information on the main tourist destinations, beaches, as well as activities, events and much more!

You are not allowed to reproduce the whole or part of this work in any way without our written permission.

greece

mygreece

Read reviews about Chios on
Χίος

pvaigaiou en

where-to-stay

Contact: Regional Unit Of Chios Department of Tourism | Phone numbers: 0030 22713-50514 & 0030 22713-50516 | FAX: 0030 22713-50517 | Emailtourismos@chios.pvaigaiou.gov.gr